School Life

Bishopshalt opened in 1907 when Middlesex County Council established Uxbridge County School (our original name). The school now occupies the site and grounds of a former Victorian mansion and its name was taken from the house where, for 500 years, the Bishops of Worcester rested or halted in their own property while making frequent trips to and from London.

Bishopshalt's story is one of continuing growth and success; at first, as a grammar school and, since 1977 as a comprehensive school.

Much of the main part of the school building dates from the 1950's when the school grew to take four forms of entry each year. It has been a popular local secondary school and in the 1970's expansion to five forms of entry brought another building programme. Following the high demand for places, further growth took place in 1989 when the first six forms of entry arrived. An important ingredient in achieving growth and success is the quality of the teachers. Bishopshalt has always had a highly experienced, well qualified and very loyal staff. Since 1907 there have been just six headteachers. Over the years many teachers have stayed to give the bulk of their professional service to the school.

Commitment and a willing involvement in the School extends to non-teaching staff and to parents. There is a very active Parents' Association and parents play a major role as Governors of the School.

Introducing Building Schools for the 21st Century – The programme is part of a national initiative, which aims to renew or rebuilt secondary schools in England over the next 10-15 years.