We offer an extensive programme of Dance, Drama and Music taught in first class facilities including:
- A Dance Studio with a sprung maple floor, lighting systems, mirrored wall, interactive whiteboard and Internet access
- A purpose built performance space complete with stage lighting and flexible rostra
- A proscenium arch main stage for production work
There are two full time members of the Dance Department and a full time Arts College Technician.
Mrs Gooch - Head of Dance, Lead Practitioner
Mrs Briggs - Dance Teacher and Head of Year 9
The Department is exceptionally well resourced with an extensive library of professional dance works and other resources.
Key Stage 3
- in Year 7 all students have one lesson of Dance every week
- in Years 8 and 9 students who do not take a second Modern Foreign language have the opportunity to study Dance for one hour each week
Key Stage 4
- GCSE Dance is available as an option choice studying the AQA syllabus
Key Stage 5
- For students studying post 16, Dance (Edexcel Syllabus) and Performing Arts (OCR Syllabus) are available for examination at A level.
The Dance curriculum is progressive and provides continuity between the Key Stages allowing students to: develop technical excellence, study the work of contemporary choreographers and develop the ability to create individual pieces. The Department is committed to offering opportunities for students to view live work in performance. Previously, students have been able to experience the Random Dance Company, The Ballet Boyz, New Adventures and INALA - a Zulu Ballet. Students have also participated in workshops with Ill-Abilities Dance Company, New Adventures and Sisters Grimm Ltd.
Extra Curricular Activities
There is a ‘Dance for All’ policy at Bishopshalt School. The extensive extra-curricular programme is inclusive and aspires to celebrate the community we serve. Opportunities include:
- KS3 Dance Club- Junior ‘Unit Works’
- Senior ‘Unit Works’ workshop
- ‘Unit Works’ Gifted and Talented Company
- Street, Hip-Hop and Breakdance sessions
Opportunities for showcasing dance performances include:
- the school's BODS and Junior BODS, mostly recently ‘Legally Blonde’ and 'Peter Pan Jnr'
- our annual events - the Carol Concert and our Dance Evening ‘Spring Reloaded’
- the Hillingdon Youth Dance Festival - Bishopshalt is a host school. Our year 8s were recently chosen to represent the Borough in the London Youth Games at the Copper Box Arena
- Dance Festivals at local schools
In addition students have performed at UNITED LIVE and recently auditioned for the PiXL presentation evening at RADA. Within the department there is a culture whereby past students return to offer workshops and share their experiences of dance after sixth form.
Try to see this- new M. Bourne work, looks like a Hofesh move! https://t.co/sW8ud8RMXK
Choreography sharing at lunch! effort and fantastic dances https://t.co/drK6jtVa5y
No delays! We expect to be back at 6.30pm https://t.co/E9mHb6nJN4
Day in Venice ☀ https://t.co/mil6ccoL1L