We are an ARTS COLLEGE specialising in Music and The Performing Arts. An extensive programme of Dance, Drama and Music are taught using first class facilities including:
- A Dance Studio with a sprung maple floor, lighting systems, mirrored wall, interactive whiteboard and internet access
- A purpose built performance space complete with stage lighting and flexible rostra
- A proscenium arch main stage for production work
There are two full time members of the Dance Department and a full time Arts College Technician.
Mrs Gooch- Head of Dance, Advanced Skills Teacher
Mrs Briggs- Dance Teacher and Head of Year 7
The Department is exceptionally well resourced with an extensive library of professional dance works and other resources.
Key Stage 3 - in Year 7 all students have one lesson of Dance every week
- in Years 8 and 9 students who do not take a second Modern Foreign language have the opportunity to study Dance for one hour each week
Key Stage 4 - GCSE Dance is available as an option choice studying the AQA syllabus
Key Stage 5 - For students studying post 16, Dance (Edexcel Syllabus) and Performance
Studies (OCR Syllabus) are available for examination at AS and A2 levels.
The Dance curriculum is progressive and provides continuity between the Key Stages allowing students to: develop technical excellence, study the work of contemporary choreographers and develop the ability to create individual pieces. The Department is committed to offering opportunities for students to view live work in performance. This year students have been able to experience the Random Dance Company, The Ballet Boyz and New Adventures. Students have also participated in workshops with Ill-Abilities Dance Company and New Adventures.
Extra Curricular Activities
There is a ‘Dance for All’ policy at Bishopshalt School. The extensive extra-curricular programme is inclusive and aspires to celebrate the community we serve. Opportunities include:
- KS3 Dance Club- Junior ‘Unit Works’
- Senior ‘Unit Works’ workshop
- ‘Unit Works’ Gifted and Talented Company
- Street, Hip-Hop and Breakdance sessions
Opportunities for showcasing dance performances this year have included the school Christmas production ‘Cabaret’, the Carol Concert and the Dance Evening ‘Spring Reloaded’. Bishopshalt hosted the Hillingdon Youth Dance Festival. Other performances have included Dance Festivals at local schools. In addition students have performed at UNITED LIVE and recently auditioned for the PiXL presentation evening at RADA.
Within the department there is a culture whereby past students return to offer workshops and share their experiences of Dance after sixth form.