Modern Foreign Languages
“Language is power”
Welcome to Modern Foreign Languages at Bishopshalt School. We consider ourselves to be a highly motivating department offering you a variety of topics delivered to you in an exciting environment. We pride ourselves in our academic results and continue to be a popular subject within the school. Why don’t you take a look at our page and see what we have to offer!
Merci! Danke! Gracias!
Languages at KS3
In Year 7 – It’s all about having fun learning a new language!
In Year 8 you will….
In Year 9 you will….
Languages at GCSE
Congratulations! You are about to make the right decision in choosing a Modern Foreign Language at GCSE. So, what will I be learning?
At GCSE you have the opportunity to extend your knowledge of both vocabulary and grammar. You will cover a variety of topics, including Media, Environment, World of Work, Holidays, amongst others.
How will I be assessed?
You will complete two pieces of written Controlled Assessment and two pieces of spoken Controlled Assessment. These account for 60% of your final GCSE grade, so by the time you sit the remaining two exams (Reading and Listening), you will have already achieved a great deal!
….. And why should I take the subject?
Having the ability to communicate in a second language opens doors for you. You do not want to be the person who misses out on a promotion because you could not speak French. Similarly you would not like to lose the opportunity to go to a very good University because you had not chosen a GCSE in a Modern Foreign Language. Finally, learning a language says that you confident, you are creative and that you can persevere and do much, much more!
Languages at KS5
This is the challenging part. You will have come a long way since your KS3 and KS4 days, you will have acquired a wealth of knowledge and now it is time to take a more rigorous and mature approach to your language studies.
Here’s what to expect from A-level in a Modern Foreign Language...
You will study topics about Family, Health, Environmental Issues, Immigration and much more in extreme detail. You will strengthen your grammatical knowledge and carry out independent learning to secure your understanding. In addition, you will be allocated time to work on a one to one basis with a native speaker of the language you are studying to improve your confidence in the spoken language. By doing a Modern Foreign language at A-level you are demonstrating creativity and willingness to be as competent as possible, you will have something interesting to write about in your UCAS personal statement and this will no doubt make you stand out when you apply for University or for a job in the future.
So what do I need in order to do A-level?
You will need to have worked very hard and secured either an A* or A grade at GCSE level.
In Year 7 you will have the opportunity to visit Barcelona and Paris depending on what language you study.
In Year 10 you will have the opportunity to visit France, Germany and Luxembourg.
Need to catch up? Need to submit an assignment? Need access to resources?
Look no further than Moodle. Speak to your Teacher for more details.
Where can Languages take me?
- Legal sector
- Business and finance world
- The European Union
- Translating and Interpreting
- Airport services
- Tourism industry
- Flight Deck and Cabin Crew for some of the world’s leading airlines – Emirates, Etihad, Qatar Airways, Lufthansa, British Airways, Air France and Iberia.
- Personal Assistant
- Teaching and Lecturing abroad or here in the UK.
MFL Links – how can I help myself to learn independently?
- www.zut.org.uk – Interactive activities for all ages!
- www.languagesonline.org.uk – topics covering all languages and grammar.
- www.ashcombe.surrey.sch.uk/Curriculum/modlang - Good for video clips of native speakers.
- www.tf1.fr – The “number 1” French TV channel.
- www.vocabexpress.com – See your teacher / exercise book for login details
- www.kerboodle.com – see your teacher for login details.
- www.rtl.de – German TV and news
- www.rfi.fr – listen to French radio LIVE! (For advanced French learners).
- www.tv5monde.com – For advanced French learners – click on ‘langue française’
- Got a smart phone? Download ‘Duolingo’ and get learning a language fast!