Key Dates for the Options Process
- Initial Introduction to Options Process, during Learning for Life.
- Tuesday 4th February 2020
You can read the 2020 Options Booklet here:
- Year 9 Options Fair. View the presentation to parents.
- Thursday 6th February 2020 in the Main Hall at 5:00pm
- Year 9 Parents Evening
- Tuesday 11th February 2020 from 4:30pm
- Options Form to be handed in by
- Friday 14th February 2020
Top Tips for Choosing Your Options
Most pupils have no idea at 13 or 14 as to what career they will choose when 16, 18 or 21. HOWEVER, you should realise that the choices you make in Year 9 will in many cases affect the choices you make at 16, 18 or 21;
- by the closure of certain doors
- by the setting of patterns of interest
- keep subjects that you enjoy and are interested in
- do not drop subjects that you are good at
- do not drop subjects which will be required for the type or work in which you are interested
If, however, as is likely, you do not know what your career will be you would be well advised to keep all doors open by selecting a well-balanced group of subjects.
- choose the teacher. The teacher you have this year may not be one you will have in Years 10 and 11
- choose what your friends choose. If you spend the next two years talking to your friends in lessons you will not do very well academically and anyway you may not be taught in the same group as your friends
- choose new subjects just because they are new
- use the Options Book to find out about the subjects which you are interested in and the nature of the examination
- find out your ability in the different subjects
- realise that some subjects make more demands on your memory and time than others and a combination of these subjects will give you a heavy workload
Note: This is a set of guidelines NOT a rigid set of rules; most of it is merely common sense.
Use these links for some useful advice for Year 9s currently choosing their options.